FERPA Compliance Management Solutions
Reap the rewards of effective compliance management – with less effort and expense
What is FERPA?
FERPA stands for Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. such as 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99). FERPA is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. FERPA was passed in 1974.
FERPA applies to all education agencies and institutions that receive federal funding.
Why FERPA matters to your institution?
Education institutions are entrusted with a lot of information about students and it becomes a fiduciary responsibility to protect it. Information in the cloud is vulnerable and institutions need to carefully apply adequate controls to protect student education information.
- Except for specific exceptions, a parent or student shall provide a signed and dated written consent before a school may disclose education records. The consent must:
- specify records that may be disclosed;
- state purpose of disclosure; and
- identify party or class of parties to whom disclosure may be made
- Education records include “Records, files, documents, and other materials that contain information directly related to a student and which are maintained by an educational agency or institution or by a party acting for the agency or institution.”
- Conditions under which prior consent of the parent or student is not required to disclose information:
- Disclosure to college officials with a legitimate educational interest in the records
- Provision of records and info to another school in which the student seeks to enroll
- Administration of financial aid requests
- Certain state and federal education officials may have access
- Records provided to the court or counsel when the student has sued the University
- Compliance with court orders or subpoenas after attempt to notify the student
- Release of info during a health or safety emergency
- Results of disciplinary proceedings in certain cases involving crimes of violence or sex offences
SysCloud can help institutions to cost-effectively secure education information by:
- Protect Sensitive Data – Detecting files stored in the cloud with student education information
- Document Sharing Visibility: Gain visibility into users, documents and internal/external sharing of your data
- Granular Level Control: Flexibility to create policy scopes at every level for greater policy control
- In-depth Auditing: Keep track of user access and actions with full audit capabilities
- Employee Self Service: End user violation visibility reducing administrative workload
- Compliance Exception Management: Reasoning exceptions provided to violations as per the list of exceptions provided by FERPA.